11/18/2016

This week has been the most intense teaching week I can remember. Over the past three days I have given five lectures, which is, uhmm, seven and a half hours of being on my feet and monologuing. It's a lot. In the aftermath of it, I'm tired but happy as a clam. Dr A. N. wrote me a few days ago and commented on her working on Advenced Greek prep, saying that she wonders why she ever does anything else. I can totally relate. I too wonder why I would do anything else beside lecturing. No, actually, I think doing it only once a month makes it even more special. I don't really know how much of a clam I would be if I had to do it on a daily basis. But in any case, Greek was as good as ever (although the students probably have a different view point lol - three classes in such a short time is a lot for them to bear), and helping out a colleague and teaching two classes of Theology of Worship this morning turned out surprisingly well too. I was nervous about these classes and told myself I had to fake the confidence and not let the students see my insecurity but when the first class started the tension disappeared slowly and I soon got back to my usual teaching mode. I might have even got into a preaching mode just once when explaining how Jesus took over all the functions of the temple and told people that from that time on He was the way to God, not the temple.

This time I also lived in the Seminary house together with the students. I usually go to my cousin's place when I'm in Tartu but as they're out of country I decided I would try the community life in the Seminary. As the girls dorm room was rather crowded, I dragged my mattress upstairs to the Christian radio station (I worked there for several years and I still know the office people so they were kind enough to let me sleep on their studio floor behind a labyrinth of CD shelves). But otherwise I got to spend time with the rest of the crowd in the mornings and evenings. I got to know some people a little better and generally had a lot of fun hanging out with them.

I might just as well admit it - the Seminary has stolen my heart. I am immensely grateful to God for giving this place to me. My life would be so much poorer without it.

--

A big shout-out to Q. who called me the other day, bringing a breath of fresh Newbold air to my life. He's one of those people who for some strange reason personifies Newbold to me. His wit and intelligence, the shared memories his pastor's heart - I truly appreciate them. Again, thank you for calling, man.

--

Here's a picture of me hanging out with some of my beautiful friends from Tallinn's church. It was last Saturday night after the Global Leadership Summit when we decided to have some cake and quality time together. I was so glad my back was finally getting better, enabling me to come out of my cave and to be around people again.


I have only gratitude in my heart as I welcome the Sabbath tonight. God has been good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment