9/07/2016

There's one extremely important thing in my life I haven't said anything about. Until now.

On August 5th I was given a whole new title and a new role on life - I became an aunt. It was the same day I hit the wilderness with my friends and turned off my phone so I only found out about this when the baby girl was already a week old. News don't travel fast up in the North.

I saw my little niece (and for once I feel like spelling out the whole name:) Eliisabet when she was two weeks old. S. and H. came to our family reunion at my uncle's and introduced the baby to the whole family (from my mum's side). It was a little bit strange and very heartwarming to say hello to the newest addition to Kalmus' family. She was so tiny! And yet, there is something big, something awe-inspiring about a new born baby. She's got so much future ahead of her! So much life! So many choices. So much happiness. A fair share of sorrow and suffering as well. The miracle of life is miraculous indeed. And suddenly there's so much for us to look forward to. There was this sweet moment at the family reunion when the closest family, that is, me, K. and dad were standing around E.'s cradle and were looking at her and each of us had their own thoughts. My dad said, "I wonder how long it will take before I can start taking her birdwatching with me." I was like, "I wonder how long it will take before I can start bringing her books." And K. thought a little and said, "I wonder how long it will take before I can start teaching her words she shouldn't really know." I guess each of us is looking forward to teaching E. something, haha!

I don't have any pictures to post. There are photos of me holding E. but I very much respect S. and H.'s choice not to flood the social media with their baby pictures. I don't know how strict they are going to be as parents - I might not have a right to share any pictures of her until she turns 18. :P

I preached my last sermon as the local intern in Tallinn's church this past Sabbath and waved the church goodbye. The whole service left me feeling a little bit sad. It was all very different compared to the day I left Tartu church two years ago. Then the whole church celebrated my ministry, plus I had my wonderful cousin throwing me a party at his summer house later that evening. There wasn't much of a celebration here, and there was no party. But S. was kind enough to invite me over to their place after the church service and I sat there in their living room, holding sleeping E. in my arms, and I thought to myself, "Who cares about the lesser things when I have this baby to hold." She totally made up for the sadness of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment